Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Should you join a running club?

Running Clubs

 

 
  When I started running I just kinda went out and did it. I did C25K for about 2 1/2 weeks and then decided I was ready to run a 1/2 mile non-stop on my own. Many miles and several severe injuries later I wish I had not been so hard headed and just stuck with the program. That is not my learning process I am a graduate of the school of hard knocks on the head. lol For some reason I like to learn the hard way mess it up and fix it later. The love of my life is almost annoying to me with his one and done way of learning and doing things.

 One of things I found to be an asset to me and probably the only thing I have done right from early on in running was joining a club. Due to my work schedule I am not able to attend all there functions and be super social but it sure is nice to have people to run with on long run days. Even if they are not running along my side it's just nice to know everyone is around, headed in the same direction with a common goal. It is so nice to meet up an say hello at the water station and take a little break. My water breaks used to be on a busy street corner but the marina setting where my club meets is much better.

 My awesome club here in Long Beach is AREC. I love them so much for only $25.00 a year you get all kinds of discount codes for races including Disney. Marathon training, trail runs, casual weekday runs, social events and advice from certified running coaches. They have have some track training as well. It is a good group and over 100 people come out to run every time we meet. I am always proud to wear my club hat, shirt or windbreaker everywhere.

 I tend to be a little bit of loner because I do not work in a traditional office setting with people. So it is especially helpful to me to get and make friends with people who love running as much as I do. Although I probably scare them just a little I am more enthusiastic than other when it come to race talk. lol

Something I have recently done that had proven to be interesting is training on the full marathon routes. Runs consist  of 1/2 marathon training and full marathon training. I am not running a full just yet but I need to keep my mileage high since I have so many races coming up. Full marathoners are a totally different breed of runner. This is  something I  have heard before but wasn't too sure about. I have also heard people who have completed a full say there life changed forever. I can't tell you just yet how they are different but they are just very different. They are full of knowledge and grit so it's really cool to be able to talk to everyone about there experiences.

 It is a great way to make friends most clubs have tents set up a large races so you have a place to hang out.I know some people hesitate because maybe they worry what other runner swill think about
them or just finding them time. I say don't worry about other people we are runners on a running high and love everyone. If you can only make a few meet ups that okay too. I was not able to attend very much my first 7 months but I saved so much money in discount codes it wasn't even funny.
 

No comments: