Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Cross Training Anyone???



What is cross training?

Wikipedia says this...
     Cross-training refers to an athlete training in sports other than the one that athlete competes in with a goal of improving overall performance.


Here is what I say...
   Cross-training is what makes me as a runner stronger. It is what prevents hard core injury. It is what helps me stay focused and at times motivated. It is what gives me a little break from running without sacrificing my fitness level. It is and always will be absolutely essential in all of my training schedules. It is what gives my running muscles a break, almost like a little massage.

So what type of cross-training is best?
   I do not believe that one form of cross-training is better than the other. I think all forms are beneficial at different times for different reasons depending on YOUR needs at the time for what you are training for.

Here are a few of my favorite forms of cross-training...

BICYCLE
One of my favorite forms of cross-training is cycling. I just love a good sweaty bike ride. I really feel like at times high-powered biking works my leg muscles even harder than uphill running BUT without the impact on my knees and hips.

CIRCUIT TRAINING
This type of interval training where you are working all muscle groups one after the other is a great form of exercise in my opinion. It mimics interval running where your heart rate is elevated for short bursts of time depending on what muscle group you are working and then it lowers for a time while you work on a muscle group requiring less exertion. This type of cross-training is great for days when you do not have much time to spare. A great circuit training session can take as little as 25 minutes if done without stopping.

SWIMMING
Everyone can enjoy swimming as a form of cross-training. It is so easy on the body and great for those weeks late in your training regime when you feel you are doing too much. Swimming is a great way to stay fit working out many different muscle groups.

WALKING
If you can run, you can walk and you can walk far. Walking is great in my opinion because it can help you build your endurance. If you are at a point in your training where your long run takes you 90 minutes to complete, try walking for 120 min or even 180. Then when you increase your long run mileage and the time increases your endurance will be far greater.

Of course there are many other forms of cross training out there and like I said, not one is any better than the other. Every form of exercise has its own set of benefits and for a runner simply conditioning those heart and lung muscles is what is key. So  enjoy your cross-training days, change up what you are doing, try something new and most of all have fun. 

I would love to hear from you Race Junkie fans as well. What are your favorite forms of cross-training? How often do you cross-train? Leave a comment and share with me some of your experiences.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sіmply want to sаy youг artіcle іs as surprising.

Thе clarity in уour pοѕt is simρly cоol and і can assume you аre an expert on this
subject. Fine with youг permіssion аllow me to grab your RSЅ
feed to keep up tо date wіth forthcoming post.
Thankѕ a milliοn and please keep up the grаtifying work.


Feel freе to visіt mу blog ροst :
: Bike Race bikes

Anonymous said...

Hello arе using Wогԁpress fоr your blog platform?
І'm new to the blog world but I'm tгying to get started and cгeate my
own. Do you neеԁ any html сoԁіng knowledge tο maκe your own
blog? Αnу help would be greatly
appreciated!

Hеre іѕ my site; hostgator coupon 2013

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog ρost. I dеfіnitely aрpгeciate
this webѕіtе. Continue the gooԁ work!


Alѕo visit my blog Bike Race cheats