Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Cross Training: Get fit in the water!!


So recently I have ventured out and tried a few new forms of exercise just for fun. Today I want to share with you my thoughts on water aerobics. I know what you are thinking... water aerobics is for elderly folks or those who are overweight or injured or have a restriction of some sort. While all of that is true what I have found in trying out water aerobics is that it is truly for everyone of all fitness levels. How great is that?!?

A class in particular that I have grown quite fond of is AQUA ZUMBA. I have tried ZUMBA classes in a gym before and not enjoyed them very much. I am not a great dancer and trying to keep coordination to some Latin tunes really is not my style. BUT. The AQUA ZUMBA class at the gym is very popular and everyone talks about it. I crept by and peeked in a few times before actually trying it and everyone appeared to be having so much fun. So I thought I would give it a try. I am happy to report, I loved it! It was a lot of fun and when fitness is fun that is an added bonus. I have been back several times and really enjoyed it each time.



FITNESS WORKOUT PARTY IN THE POOL!!

Group fitness classes can sometimes be a bit intimidating in my opinion. With ZUMBA the complex choreography can get hard and when you are standing in front of mirrored walls in the studio it is discouraging if you cannot keep up. BUT the atmosphere of being in the water can be very forgiving. It is impossible for anyone to see how uncoordinated I am when it comes to Latin rythmic moves when my body is hidden in the water. I found that I was able to relax, let loose, and have so much fun!


This class in my opinion was very challenging even for a well conditioned runner. It is a great form of cardio conditioning and body toning. The resistance of the water helps to strengthen muscles that can not be worked out while doing ZUMBA in a studio setting. Every time I leave the classes feeling like I got an amazing workout and a full body massage from the water around me. I highly recommend you try it the next time you want to enjoy a FUN way to cross train.

No comments: