Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Learning to live without a toenail.



 If someone had told me last year when I first started running that I would spend a good part of my year dealing with injuries I would have laughed at them. Running is supposed to be good for you right ?
To a degree that statement is true but some weird stuff can happen along the way.

 This past year I have learned every muscle group in my legs not because I like to sit around the fire at night an dazzle others with my intelligence but more so because I have pulled most of them . I have learned how to walk with a brace on my knee and how to properly tape my leg with KT tape. Recently I learned about the a most amazing product called biofreeze but I will talk more about that later.

  Several weeks ago after a 10 mile run along Ocean ave in Long beach I went home with a throbbing toe. I kept thinking I must need to trim my toenail but I get so busy making tutus and trying to do daily life stuff that I often forget and I found out that is a bad thing.

 After I showered I inspected my toe and indeed it was too long. I clipped the nail and went about my business. The next day my toe was THROBBING !! Ouch.. I looked at it closer and a giant blister and formed under my toenail. I have to admit at this point I started to feel a little sick to my stomach and faint.
I could see the nail lifting off the toe wnent into a straight panic.

 It was at that point I recalled a conversation with my best friend Angie. After her 2nd 1/2 marathon she told me about her bruised toenail and that she was going to loose her nail. I tried comforting her telling her what I knew to be true. Loosing your toenail is a runners badge of honor ! It proves you are hardcore and dedicated to your sport.

 Somehow that thought did not make me feel better, Several weeks later my toenail fell off. I have to admit it is kinda gross and it feels weird. You can for sure feel that 9 toes are normal and was is not. It does take some getting use to and I always make sure to keep it clean and dry.

 I taped it with medical tape so I could run my 1/2 marathon and it was fine. However, at the expo I found an awesome magnet for my fridge saying " toenails are for sissies " . lol
I love my my new magnet and I am getting used to the fact that yes I am hardcore and part of an elite group and yes I wasnt bright enough to trim to toenails and gain entry into this group. :)

 Take my advice and always trim your toenails and always make sure your shoes are a 1/2 size larger than you would normally wear. If you do these 2 simple things you will probably get to keep all 10 toenails.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I started running my other running friends would talk about losing toenails and I would always assert that the day I lost a toenail was the day I stopped running. I lost two after my first marathon. Fourteen years later I am still running. Oh, and I have the same magnet. I have it hanging in my office and I get nonstop comments on it. The runners share the stories of their lost toenails and the non runners think it is crazy.