Friday, May 31, 2013

Fit Foods Friday: Green Smoothie

I know many runners have jumped on the green smoothie bandwagon. Let's face it, they are nutrient dense and flavorful so why not have one post run to refuel and quench your thirst.

Here is my current favorite flavor combination...

Race Junkie Green Smoothie

1/2 cup frozen mango
1/2 fresh banana
1 cup almond milk
1 large hand full of fresh spinach

blend, blend, blend
(As you can see in my pic I like to put the frozen fruit in the bottom and then the banana and spinach. I add the almond milk last and it goes to the bottom. I find that in my blender the frozen fruit gets blended best if it stays closest to the blade. Someday I will own a vitamix but until then I take special precautions when loading my old school blender.)

This is a fairly thick smoothie, that is how I like mine. If you like it to be thinner add water, more almond milk or even some fruit juice. I love this combo because it is not too sweet but it is very creamy thanks to the almond milk. You can substitute the almond milk for whole milk, soy milk, coconut milk, rice milk or whatever liquid you prefer. I also love this smoothie combo with berries so I often swap out the mangos for berries. Often times I will add a small scoop of protein powder or some chia seeds or flax to increase the nutrition value.

Okay Race Junkie fans, now it is your turn to share your favorite smoothie combination with me. Comment below so I can try what you all love.

No comments: