Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Garmin vs. Nike






  If you are like me tracking your distance and pace is very important. Finding the best device to do so can sometimes be a bit challenging. When I first started running I used a pedometer and then switched to a Nike Pod Sensor. I thought it worked well and I was happy with how it synced with Facebook and I could brag about my runs. However, I began to notice quickly that I wasn't running as far and fast as my ipod was telling me.

 I  figured it had to be a sensor issue so I switched to the Nike GPS app on my android phone. I really loved how I could sync my runs on Facebook and hear cheering every time someone liked my status. It was great encouragement especially on long runs. I noticed after about a month the distance and pace were still off and I really needed to switch to a watch of some sort.

  I entertained the idea of purchasing a Nike GPS watch assuming that distance and pace had to be dead on since it was GPS. My cousin was already using the Nike GPS watch and told me she was still having issues with distance and pace and that it varied all the time. I loved so many features of Nike but honestly I never cared for the fact that all their products have to be continually re-calibrated. If I am going to spend the money on GPS watch I want it to work properly when I need it to.








  I decided to go with Garmin and I have never looked back. I found a great deal on Walmart.com and had it shipped to my local store. When I first ran with my Garmin I thought it was broken. I ran my usual coarse along the L.A River bike path and I had to run much further than normal to reach the 3 mile mark. I could not figure out what was wrong so I went home and studied the Garmin and Nike maps of my neighborhood. Well guess what ?? My Nike products were so far off that I felt sad.
I realized at that moment that I have been severely under trained and I  had suffered because of it.

 Garmin products are dead on with distance and pace. They work great in all weather and I have never had to calibrate my Garmin. Garmin does not have all the bells and whistles that Nike has when it comes to Facebook and the software is much more serious. It will let you share with multiple social networking sites if you like. I started to realize that was less important to me than I initially thought so I do not use that feature.




I just think if you are looking for a product that is 100% accurate and really lets you analyze your runs then go with Garmin. You will be amazed at how much information is provided with there system. I never thought know my elevation would useful but guess what? It really is important information. LOL



If you are in the market for an awesome GPS watch I say go with Garmin you will never regret doing so.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this, if you see my latest post I questioned whether I should start using my new Garmin or stick with my Nike+ sportwatch. I love my Nike+ though, it hasn't let me down and I don't have to recalibrate it. BUT I'd like to see exactly how accurate it is. I love the Nike+ online system too buuut I can just put the app on my phone while I test out the Garmin. Thank you :)