Friday, June 28, 2013

Ditching the Music

Saying goodbye to my iPod

   

 I hate to admit this but there have been times that I have actually abandoned a run because my iPod died or Pandora wasn't working for some reason. I just couldn't run without music and hearing the sounds of my breathing and feet pounding the pavement was somehow unsettling to me. I have heard many times how unsafe it is to run the streets with headphones in and I REALLY love running the streets. I live close to the beach but the streets is my happy place.

 Try to picture me on a run Nike visor on, dark sunglasses and headphones all the way with the volume cranked up high, Totally cut off from everything lost in my own world thinking that was what running is all about. When I would go to races I was exactly the same way and although I could occasionally hear cow belles clanging and see mouth moving when I glanced around I  have no idea what was going on at those events.I totally missed out on the whole thing.

 Not so long ago something magical happened at a Saturday run with my running club. I took one headphone out and found it was kind cool.  I started talking to other runners and I thought "wow I should do this more often" I got used to sound of my breathing and feet hitting the pavements. It was neat to hear and when I realized my stride was off by sound I was able to make a quick correction.

 On my next run near my house I decided to leave my iPod at home and I hit the streets. Holly Molly what an experience! I found out people all around me had been talking to me. Saying hello and good morning. One very kind lady even told me I was doing a good job. I could hear bikes and cars coming from all directions. Seagulls and the waves hitting the shore. It was if a whole new world had opened up and I had crossed over as a runner. I was always so into my experience with my music I had actually missed out on the true running experience. 



 I am sure this is not a new concept to many runners. I used to pass runners all the time without headphones and wonder how they did that or why they would want to. I am just glad I was able to find the joy in not running with them. I doubt i will ever run headphones again in my life. I am so excited to run my next race without them. I am sure I will find there is just so much more going on at race than I ever knew.

Runners World had a great debate on the pros and cons of running without music. there are so many reason that I never even thought of check it out sometime if you get  chance.

http://www.runnersworld.com/workout-music/running-music-0

No comments: