Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Why running in a tutu is the best !






  I remember my very first 5k and what I thought it meant to be a runner.
I thought runners had to look very "serious" I was sure that all my pictures should be of me sweating and looking intense. lol It was pretty silly of me to think that way.

 I had terrible nerves the night before my race and I dressed in black and white. To make things even worse I wore a 100% cotton t-shirt so basically I had newbie written all over me.  I couldn't understand why everyone was dancing to warm up or why some people were dressed so crazy. I saw a few tutus and a couple Uncle Sam outfits. I was bewildered as to why they were dressed that way.

 Looking back at those pictures I am almost embarrassed to see them. I never once smiled or looked like I was enjoying myself. It did okay at my race but I didn't really have fun and it really showed. I am not sure where my thinking of runners must be serious at all times came from. I guess it is just one of those weird things I got into my head.

 I have read a few article from similar runners who say no way to tutus. I have heard it takes away from the event itself and they don't seem to like the attention they get when wearing one. My defense to that is running is supposed to be fun. If it isn't then why do it ? We are not 13 and being forced to run track or face detention. We run because we like it and the way we feel when we do it !

 Once I started running in a tutu the whole experience changed for me. In a way I feel like a big fluffy superhero. It feels great to jump curbs and fly past the herd  in a fluffy tutu.




    A few Race Junkie customers have told me how much they enjoy being a girl on race day. We get so busy with work and family we tend to live in jeans and sweats. Race day is your day to shine and show them what it really means to run like a girl. For many wearing a tutu at there event is just a great time to be strong and pretty at the same time.

 I have to say I do like the attention I get while wearing a tutu. I remember running Surf City practically crying from pain but still smiling in my tutu as people gave me high fives from the crowds and screamed "awesome tutu" . It just made me feel good and got me through the worse pain of my life.

  People tend to think runners are crazy anyway. How many times have you told someone you are training for a 1/2 and gotten that weird look from them ? After they ask "how far is that" they ask " why do you want to run that far"  and then they usually say " oh wow". LOL  If you are going to spend more timne training for an event longer than the Karadashian marriage then you should look amazing when the day finally comes!


Try running in a tutu just once I promise it will change the way you run forever.




2 comments:

Brittani Kindle said...

Wow! It was so awesome to read this blog post. It was exactly what I needed to see. My first half-marathon is coming up on August 3rd and I don't know where I'm more nervous or excited. I know I will finish but I really want to do well since I've been training so hard for it. I came across Glam Runner on Etsy and just ordered a custom hot pink tutu that I'll wear along with my 1st Half-Marathon tank so I hope this will get the crowd to cheer a little louder because I'll need that energy to keep me going. Congrats on your weight loss journey! My 2013 New Years Resolution was Health and Happiness and since then, I've gone from 250 to 198 pounds and I'm still about 30-40 pounds away from my ultimate goal weight. Running is my latest craze so I'm hoping this will be my first of many half-marathons. But, thank you for this blog and next time I promise to purchase my tutu from Race Junkie :)

Jase said...

I recently did a fun run in Queensland, Australia and when I went to get my race bib they were selling running tutus for the race and I thought I see many people wearing these at previous runs and I am going to wear one just for fun as it was an untimed race. On race day I had to catch public transport to the race so I wore my top and shorts to the race as I wasn't sure how others would take to a guy in a tutu on the train. I changed in to my tutu (I wore bike pants underneath) at the event. Quite a number of people thought it was great I wore one. I was quite nervous and unsure about what other race goers would think.

I id the run and it did feel different wearing one during the run but I also felt I had greater freedom, a higher amount of self confidence about my run and as a result more determined to do well and enjoy my run. It was also a great confidence boost hearing other runners saying "nice tutu." After the run I felt a great sense of achievement as I felt I did a good pace for the run and had really enjoyed myself more. I felt that much self confidence I wore more tutu back home.

The next day I looked online about wearing running tutus and read how other runners felt the same about wearing them and also hearing about Monika Allen too made me think that those of us guys and girls who wear running tutus should feel good about wearing them. After hearing about Monika I felt by wearing one I was standing up for people like her who were shamed for wearing one. I did not and do not feel ashamed that I wore one the night before. I felt I had made a statement too.

The next 2 days I went for an early morning run and thought I might wear my tutu again cause I can and cause of the empowerment I found from Monika's story so I did. I found again I felt the same as I did at the fun run. Now I feel more inspired to go further as a runner too.

All I have to say now is I am glad I decided to wear a tutu just for a bit of fun recently. I am glad to say I am proud that I wore a tutu and I run regularly in a tutu. I really like wearing one when I run and glad I do. TUTUS ROCK!!!!